Thursday, February 03, 2011

C.O.L.D. or W.E.A.K.

Me and the Dog on a walk.
A very cold walk.

December of 2005 found me living in Provo, Utah experiencing the coldest winter of my life. Most of the previous 19 winters had been spent in Washington; which would provide 1 or 2 days of snow. For the most part my winters, up to that point, had just been wet so 1 to 2 months of snow was an entirely new thing for me. Therefore, the winter of 2005 was referred to as "The Coldest Winter Known to Amy" from that winter forth.

During "The Coldest Winter Known to Amy" I came to Arizona to visit the family for Christmas. Our first Christmas in Arizona, mind you. I came home to find the entire family wrapped in blankets, wearing robes, long sleeves, and slippers. I would constantly hear them talk about how "freeeeezing" they were.

It was 76 degrees on Christmas day. I was convinced that spring had come early, and that my family had lost their marbles.

70 degree weather in December?
Cold?
Come ON people!

Fast forward 5 years, and December of 2010 found me living in Chandler, Arizona. Ah! 60-70 degree weather. Sunshine every day. Does it get better than this? I submit that it can not! (..name that movie..) I must admit there were times (on the more brisk days) when I would wear a jacket, and maybe a scarf. And I would feel ashamed. But when it's 110-118 degrees during the summer 60-70 degrees can feel pretty. dang. cold. 

I know the rest of the nation is currently experiencing "Snow-pocalypse", and that our 20-30 degree weather (plus SUPER crazy wind) seems pretty insignificant. Especially when compared to the temperatures dropping below 0, and the feet and feet of snow that most of the US is dealing with. But the last 3 days have been the coldest. Ever. Did I mention that the wind situation down here has been out of control? Seriously. Out. Of. Control.

So I have decided to make it official. Tuesday, February 1, 2011 to Thursday, February 3, 2011 will forever be know as "The Coldest 3 Days Known to Amy". That's right 20 degree weather and snow of 2005.. step aside.. and make room for the 20-30 degree weather plus wind of 2011.

I must be getting weak in my old age.



Note: No animals were harmed during the making of this post. The Dog has thoroughly enjoyed "The Coldest 3 Days Known to Amy". Especially during the times she has been allowed outside.


"The Coldest 3 Days Known to Amy" is subject to change. Continuous cold weather may result in additional days to said title. 

2 comments:

Metcalf Family said...

haha Amy, that was great! It's been getting down to zero here and the windchill even colder.. but when we hit 30 degrees I'm going outside without a coat!!
I think our bodies just adapt to our climate so don't feel too ashamed :) We are thinking of moving to the Chandler area in about a year!!

Cole & Denise said...

You are HILARIOUS! I can't agree with you more. The kids told me they turned into icicles this morning just stepping outside to get into the car.
We Arizonan'a are just too weak for this stuff! Bring on the HEAT!!